Sunday, June 17, 2012

Part 5: Q and A about pregnancy

Q1:Everybody at work seems to have advice for me. How do I handle this?
A1:Unwelcome advice, unwarranted questions, even physical contact, are common during pregnancy. Use humor to deflect some of the questions. You can always listen, nod wisely and say "thanks," without making a commitment to follow unasked-for advice. You are in charge!

Q2:I know my center of gravity is changing. What's the best way for me to lift an object?
A2:Do most of your lifting with your legs. Bend your knees to lift; don't bend at the waist. As your abdomen » grows larger, don't lift anything weighing more than 30 pounds (13.6kg), including your older children.

Q3:I've found I want to eat late at night, even though I've never felt hungry at night before. Should I?
A3:Late-night nutritious snacks are beneficial for some women, especially if they must eat many small meals a day. However, many women should not snack at night because they don't need the extra calories. Food in the stomach late at night may also cause more distress if heartburn or nausea and vomiting are problems.

Q4:I occasionally use a steroid cream for a skin condition. Can I use it during pregnancy?
A4:Discuss this with your doctor. There may be another preparation you can use that is considered safer during pregnancy.

Q5:Won't my doctor or the nurses get mad if I call them about every medication I'm thinking of taking?
A5:No. They would rather answer a question about medication use before you take something have you than worry about its effect on your baby after you have taken it.

Q6:I know milk products are a good source of calcium, but I've heard I could get something called "listeriosis" from some milk products. Is this true?
A6:I advise you to avoid unpasteurized milk and any foods made from unpasteurized milk. Also avoid soft cheeses, such as Brie, Camembert, feta and Roquefort. These products are a common source of a form of food poisoning called listeriosis. In addition, undercooked poultry, meat, seafood and hot dogs can contain listeriosis. Cook all meat and seafood thoroughly before eating to avoid this problem.

Q7:I've heard it's harder to find breast cancer during pregnancy. Why?
A7:Changes in the breasts, including breast tenderness, increased size and even lumpiness, may make it harder to discover this type of cancer. Of all women who have breast cancer, about 2% are pregnant when it is diagnosed.

Q8:After my pelvic exam, my doctor said I was "2 and 50%." Why did she tell me this?
A8:This information is important for two reasons. First, it tells you your cervix is open 2cm and thinned out 50% or halfway. (This is not an indication of when your baby will be born.) Second, this information is helpful if you go to the hospital thinking you're in labor. At the hospital, you'll be checked again. Knowing your measurements at your last pelvic exam can help determine if you are in labor.

Q9:I've heard that during pregnancy I'm "eating for two." What does that mean?
A9:The old adage "a pregnant woman is eating for two" means you must provide good nutrition for yourself and for your growing baby. However, many women think it means they can eat twice as much, which is incorrect!

Q10:With all the news reports I've heard about older women having more babies, what is the average age for a woman to give birth in North America?
A10:A recent study showed that about age 27 is the average at which women give birth. More women give birth in their 20s than at any other age.



No comments:

Post a Comment