Sunday, June 17, 2012

Part 3: Q and A about pregnancy

Q1:Is it OK to use the microwave during my pregnancy?
A1:We don't know for sure if there is danger to your pregnancy from being around a microwave oven, so follow the directions provided with your microwave oven. Don't stand next to or directly in front of it while it's in use.
Q2:I really love protein foods that have a lot of fat, like bacon and cheese. What can I substitute for them?
A2:Choose foods that are high in protein but low in fat, such as skinless chicken and turkey, tuna packed in water, cod, ground turkey and low-fat (1 %) or fat-free (skim) milk.

Q3:I love junk food. Do I have to give it up completely?
A3:Consider not eating most junk food while you're pregnant. The foods we consider "junk food" are usually high-calorie, high-fat foods that contain little nutrition for you or your baby. It's probably OK to eat junk food once in a while, but don't make it a regular part of your diet.

Q4:I read that my baby's heart rate increases when mine does during exercise. Can this cause a problem?
A4:The fetal heart rate increases somewhat during and immediately after exercise, but it stays within the normal fetal range of 120 to 160 beats a minute. This should not cause problems for you or your baby.

Q5:What kind of problems should I watch out for while I'm exercising?
A5:Be aware of any unusual occurrences, and report them to your doctor immediately. Be careful about the following:
pain
bleeding
dizziness
extreme shortness of breath
heart palpitations
faintness
abnormally rapid heart rate
back pain
pubic pain
difficulty walking

Q6:What is the best position for sleeping?
A6:Learn to sleep on your side—you'll be glad you did as you get bigger. Use extra pillows to support your back so you don't lie flat on your back. Rest your top leg on another pillow. A "pregnancy pillow" that provides support for your entire body may help.

Q7:My feet are huge—I can't wear any of my shoes. What can I do?
A7:Some swelling in your feet is normal during pregnancy. Wear sneakers, flats or shoes with low heels (no higher than 2 inches). If swelling becomes extreme, especially during the last trimester, consult your physician; it could indicate a problem. Rest lying on your side as frequently as possible. Expect to buy larger shoes toward the end of your pregnancy.

Q8:Can my work be hazardous to my pregnancy?
A8:Certain factors may increase your risk of working during your pregnancy. If your job includes two or more of the following conditions, talk to your doctor:
prolonged standing (more than 3 hours a day)
work on an industrial machine, especially if it vibrates a great deal or requires strenuous effort to operate
strenuous physical tasks, such as heavy lifting or heavy cleaning
repetitious, tedious work, such as assembly-line jobs
environmental factors, such as high noise levels or extreme temperatures
long working hours
shift changes

Q9:Is it safe for me to drive during pregnancy?
A9:Yes. It may become uncomfortable for you to get in and out of the car as pregnancy progresses, but being pregnant should not interfere with your ability to drive.

Q10:When will I be able to hear my baby's heart beat?
A10:With doppler ultrasound, it is possible to hear the heartbeat as early as 12 weeks. It may be possible to hear your baby's heart beat with a stethoscope at around 20 weeks of pregnancy. If you can't hear it, don't worry. It's not always easy, even for a doctor who does this on a regular basis.



No comments:

Post a Comment