Sunday, June 17, 2012

Part 4: Q and A about pregnancy

Q1:My breasts are really sore. Is this normal?
A1:Changes in your breasts may begin early in your pregnancy; it isn't unusual for them to tingle or be sore. You may also notice your breasts getting larger, or see a darkening area or an elevation of the glands around the nipple.

Q2:Now that I know I'm pregnant, I look forward to wearing maternity clothes. When will I need them?
A2:It's hard to predict exactly when you'll need to start wearing maternity clothes. You may have some clothes that are loose enough to wear for a while. You might be able to wear some of your partner's shirts. When you become uncomfortable wearing your regular clothes, it's time to start wearing maternity clothes.

Q3:How can I involve my partner more in my pregnancy?
A3:Because the pregnant woman is the focus during pregnancy, a man may feel left out. Educate him so he understands what you and the baby are going through. Share this book and other books and information you receive with him. Take him with you to see the doctor.

Q4:I find it annoying when people (even total strangers) pat my pregnant abdomen. How do I stop them from doing this?
A4:Ask people to look but not touch! When someone reaches out to touch your abdomen, it's OK to tell them you are uncomfortable with that.

Q5:I'm a single woman who has chosen to have my baby alone. What should I tell people who ask me why I am doing this?
A5:It doesn't matter what people ask you—really it's none of their business. What is important is how you feel about the pregnancy. It's up to you to decide what you want to tell people and how much explanation you want to provide.

Q6:Do miscarriages occur very often?
A6:Miscarriages occur in one out of every four pregnancies.

Q7:If I am having a miscarriage, will my pregnancy test be positive?
A7:Yes. Hormones will make your pregnancy test positive.

Q8:I've already felt some contractions, and I'm only 6 months pregnant. Am I going into labor?
A8:Probably not. You are probably experiencing Braxton-Hicks contractions, which are painless and nonrhythmical. They can begin early in pregnancy and continue off and on until your baby is born. They are felt at irregular intervals and may increase in number and strength when your uterus is massaged.

Q9:Can't my doctor tell if I'll need a C-section before I go into labor?
A9:It would be nice to know this so you wouldn't have to go through labor, but it isn't that easy. We often have to wait for labor to see how your baby handles it. And we have to wait to see if the baby fits through the birth canal.

Q10:Is it OK for my husband to go to prenatal appointments with me?
A10:It's a great idea for him to accompany you! It will help him realize what is happening to you and may help him feel more like he's a part of the pregnancy. It's also good for your husband and your doctor to meet before labor begins



No comments:

Post a Comment