Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Games to Play With an Infant

My wife is a much better at-home parent than I am, and she should be. I've been home a little more than 2 years, and she had been at home for 7, nurturing two babies through that time.
So, when our newest addition was a few months old my wife asked me what it was I did with the baby all day. We walked around the house and talked about the renovations we're going to make, and then we walked around the yard and looked at the flowers. We watched TV.
To this my wife let me know that the baby was falling behind because I wasn't playing any games with her. But she's an infant. What games could I play with her?

Playing The Rolling Over Game With Your Baby
Babies need to learn to roll over, and parents can help them by playing a game that also helps them sleep easier during their naps.

Start by laying down a blanket on the floor, and then lay the baby on his or her back. You can make faces, play peek-a-boo, or make funny sounds while doing so.

To roll the baby over the first step is to raise the baby's arm over his head as though he is raising his hand. Then roll the baby in that direction. This allows him to have his arm in front of him when he gets to his belly, which he would otherwise not be strong enough to pull out from under his body.

At first your baby should only be able to hold this position for 30-60 seconds. The exercise is good, and the child should then be rolled onto his back. This is done by placing his arm along his side, and then rolling him in that direction. Tucking the arm prevents injuries that could occur accidentally.

Naturally, during this game, it is not recommended to go and make a sandwich or check email. And the blanket should be flat on the ground. Initially, the baby can roll back and forth just a few times, but after some practice this can be done for 10-20 minutes at a time.

Playing Peek-a-Boo With Your Baby
My baby has been playing peek-a-boo with us since she was 5 months old. In her car seat she'll raise her blanket in front of her face and then pull it down. I find it to be very entertaining, personally.

Not to insult anyone's intelligence I'm still going to give a cursory of the game. It can be played with a blanket, by hiding behind a wall, or when dressing your baby. All you need is to obstruct yourself from the baby, and then appear saying "peek-a-boo."

Interestingly enough, the playfulness is a form of communication. When she does it, she's saying something to us, even if she can't say peek-a-boo.

Playing The Sound Game With Your Baby
Babies who are talked to talk sooner. One way I'll spend part of my day with the baby is by having regular conversations with her. But I also play what I call the sound game.

I go through letters in the alphabet and over-enunciate their sounds as well as my facial expressions, such as Aaaaaayyyyy; Aaaaaaayyyyy; Aaaaaaayyyyyy, or Bu Bu Bu Bu Bu. Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma. Da-da-da-da-da-da-da. I'll spend as long as a minute or two on any given sound, and I don't always go through all of them.

Another easy game, this one provides help for another fundamental in communication. Over time your baby will try to imitate your facial expressions, and she will surprise you and herself by making a sound or two, then three.

One trick to playing these games is to do them consistently. Like working out in a gym or playing an instrument, it's not going to make much of a difference if these games are only played once a month. They should be played daily, or at least several times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment